At Owens Chimney Systems, fixing up chimneys and fireplaces isn’t something we just do to make a living. Working in this industry is a passion, and we are proud to have provided top-notch, high-quality services to Concord and its surrounding cities for well over three decades now.
Needless to say, customer satisfaction is our top goal, which is why we want everyone throughout Concord to know what you have to gain by investing in a wood stove for your home. This is one purchase you’re not going to regret!
Why Buy a Wood Stove?
So, what are the benefits of having a wood stove? Turns out, there are lots of reasons someone might want to add one of these to their home! Check them out below.
- Money Savings: You can save a lot on your monthly energy bills by utilizing a wood stove as your main source of heat throughout the colder months. Wood stoves are known for their energy efficiency, ensuring all of the heat from the fire isn’t simply sent up and out of your fireplace. Zone heating is a great way to get more heat for a significantly lower price point. Not to mention, if you store your own wood, fuel is free!
- A Greener Choice: No matter which way you turn it, burning wood is always going to be a greener way to heat your home. Wood is a carbon-neutral source of energy, so your carbon footprint isn’t something you’ll have to stress about. And since it’s a renewable resource, there is far less impact on the environment than a system powered by electricity.
- More Heat: If you own a stove, you want it to produce results, right? This is a big investment and one you want to be happy with for the long haul, so ensuring you get the comfort you’re seeking is a must. Well, wood stoves are known for offering strong heat output. Along with this, there are a variety of sizes in the market, so no matter how big or small your space is, heating it quickly won’t be an issue.
- A Back-Up in Power Outages: Electricity outages don’t happen too often, but when they do, it’s typically during bad weather. If you’ve been through one before, you know that it doesn’t take that long for your house to get pretty cold! Fortunately for those with a wood stove, a lack of electricity won’t keep you from staying warm and cozy. Just throw some wood in, strike a match, and you’re good to ride out the storm. This can be the difference between a cozy evening indoors (with a book or favorite movie) or a miserable, cold evening trying to stay warm.
- Improved Aesthetics: Worried you won’t find a wood stove that goes well with your decor? Put those concerns aside. Today’s market has endless options, so finding the perfect fit for your space won’t be an issue at all. We’re certain you’ll love whichever style you decide on – and guests are sure to love it, too!
Maintaining Your Wood Stove
Needless to say, there are tons of benefits to owning a wood stove. That being said, reaping these benefits won’t be possible if your system isn’t well-maintained. Failing to invest in proper care not only destroys the health of the appliance – it puts your home and family in danger, too! So, what needs to be done?
At the top of the list should be scheduling annual inspections with a CSIA-certified chimney sweep. Annual inspections are key in terms of operating a safer fireplace, insert, or stove. There could be hidden dangers that are impossible to detect without the appropriate equipment, and only a qualified tech will be able to determine the magnitude of any potential threats.
We get that scheduling this service every single year can feel burdensome, but in the end it’s not worth the risk of stray flames or dangerous fumes entering your home. Play it safe and always be sure to make the appointment before starting your burning season.
And why should the sweep be CSIA-certified? Well, the sad fact is that a lot of chimney companies will try to charge you for more than you really need. They prey on homeowners’ lack of knowledge and try to take advantage. A CSIA-certified sweep follows a strict Code of Ethics, ensuring you truly get the best care possible.
There are also things that you can personally do to ensure your appliance runs smoother and safer year round. First off, make sure the wood you burn is seasoned. What does this mean? It means it has been dried out for about 6 months to a year and has a moisture content that is lower than 25%. This ensures your fires won’t be forced to burn through lots of excess water (which results in smokier fires, less heat, and more creosote build-up).
If you’re not seasoning your own wood, look for pieces that are lightweight, make a hollow “clunk” sound when smacked together, are dark/split at the end, and have an older, mustier smell. Or keep it simple and purchase a moisture meter, so you always know where you’re at!
Other tips include building smaller/hotter fires, consistently clearing out the fireplace ash (leaving a small layer behind is fine – even beneficial), and having any repairs or areas of build-up promptly addressed. And don’t forget to regularly check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, replacing batteries (or the units themselves) as needed.
For Chimney Care in Concord, We’re the Team to Trust
Concord has countless resources to offer people of all ages. You could spend the day at a nearby museum or gallery, visit one of the local theaters, or enjoy some nice weather at one of the many parks. And let’s not forget Concord’s historic downtown – a favorite area for both locals and guests of the city.
Own a home in the area? Count on us for restorations, rebuilds, yearly maintenance, and more. We value your satisfaction and safety above all else, and you can bet you won’t find a team more dedicated and hard-working than ours. Let’s get started. Call us at 704-850-6761 today!