Chimney Sweeping is Vital for Health & Safety
Sweeping your chimney is a vital service to insure the health and safety of your family and home. All chimneys, including the chimney for your furnace, should be inspected annually by a Certified Chimney Technician. Chimney cleaning is essential to remove creosote deposits and other debris from the chimney system. Creosote buildup can lead to flue blockages and corrosion (premature deterioration). In the event of a flue blockage, dangerous fumes can be forced into your home. Creosote is highly flammable and when allowed to build up, the result could be a chimney fire. Did you know that the average temperature of a chimney fire can often exceed 2000 degrees? This massive heat surge can do immense damage to your chimney and in some cases, cause damage to your home.
According to the NFPA for fires between 2005 and 2009, heating equipment was the second leading cause of home fires and home fire deaths but the leading cause of deaths resulting from fires in one- or two-family homes. Making sure you have your chimney appliance cleaned each year is an inexpensive and efficient way to protect your family from becoming one of these statistics.
However, for many, even though Cleaning your chimney is listed at the top of the CPSC Fire Safety Check List, they have no idea what the chimney technician is really doing. We believe you should be an educated consumer when it comes to the care and maintenance of your fireplace.
The number one concern most consumers have with chimney sweepers in your home is the mess that is envisioned. However; THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO MESS! That’s right! There is no mess and just in case you are interested in how we do that, here are the steps we take to make sure that your home is as clean, if not cleaner, after the job is complete.
What To Expect From Your Chimney Sweep Visit
We wear shoe covers and lay tarps out in front of the fireplace to insure that your carpet doesn’t get dirty and then set up a high speed dust collector with HEPA filters to make sure that no soot gets into your home.
- We sweep the inside of your chimney, from the firebox floor to the chimney top.
- We then clean, inspect and adjust the damper and damper assembly.
- We use brushes on rods to sweep the flue, hand brushes for the firebox and smoke chamber, and a vacuum with a triple layer HEPA filter to control dust.
- After doing all of this we do a visual inspection of the outside of the chimney, checking the mortar work, brickwork and crown. Any damage or needed repairs we find is documented with digital photos that can be sent to you.
- When we are through we will leave a copy with you of the written evaluation.
- We recommend annual chimney inspections as does the NFPA.
Contact us and let us quote the chimney sweep cost and get this chore off of your list…
Owens Chimney Systems conducts all chimney work according to guidelines set forth by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). The evaluations consist of any 1 of 3 levels of detailed chimney inspection. Having your fireplace inspected from crown to firebox can prevent both fires and CO Poisonings and getting this done is important for the safety of your family and those living around you.