If you’re thinking about adding, replacing, or updating your fireplace, a little research will reveal a buffet of options. Whether that buffet seems enticing or a little daunting, the question is the same. Where to start? If you’re like most, you’ll type in “fireplace options near me” or “heating options in Charlotte NC,” then be hit with a long list of results that don’t make narrowing things down any easier.
Fortunately, that’s where we come in. If you need help navigating which fireplace is right for your home, Owens Chimney Systems has got you covered. Call 704-554-9595 or reach out online with questions.
I Don’t Have an Existing Fireplace… What Are My Options?
Choosing the right fireplace for your home goes beyond mere aesthetics – although that certainly is a consideration. You’ll want to evaluate your current setup, your priorities, and what best serves your lifestyle and space.
It involves factors such as fuel type, existing infrastructure, and your specific needs and wishes. You’ll find that the major heating appliance categories at play are traditional fireplaces, stoves, and inserts. Each has its strengths, and understanding them can help you make an informed decision that enhances the comfort, beauty, and efficiency of your home.
Homeowners without the existing structure of a fireplace built into their homes will want to consider the extent of construction they’d like to undergo as it relates to the type of fireplace they desire.
- Traditional fireplaces, often characterized by a classic stone or brick facade, offer timeless charm and ambiance. They can burn wood or gas and add appeal to any room, and a properly built masonry fireplace will last fifty to a hundred years. However, it will require more extensive construction.
- Prefabricated fireplaces, also known as zero-clearance fireplaces, are manufactured fireplaces built off-site then installed in the home. They’re a versatile and efficient option for homeowners without an existing fireplace, allowing for easier installation compared to traditional masonry fireplaces.
- Stoves are another popular choice for homeowners without an existing fireplace. They come in various designs, sizes, and fuel-types, and their flexibility in placement options spells great versatility. Freestanding stoves are an effective and charming source of heat – and are even less disruptive to your home to install.
I Have a Fireplace… But I Want To Boost Efficiency
If you have an existing fireplace that isn’t meeting your needs, the consideration shifts toward improving its performance. Depending on the particular issues you’re facing, your chimney professional may have some options for enhancing them outside of a full replacement.
One such option is installing a fireplace insert. Whether the goal is a boost in overall efficiency, greater control, or a fuel type conversion, it can likely be achieved through the installation of a fireplace insert. Inserts are units that are retrofitted into existing fireplaces, and they are designed to maximize heat output, while minimizing loss. And like traditional fireplaces and stoves, inserts come in models that burn wood, gas, or pellets.
Adding Fuel to the Fire: Wood or Gas?
When it comes to fuel sources, each has its own advantages and disadvantages:
- Wood is a renewable resource that provides a traditional fireplace experience complete with crackling logs and the aroma of burning wood. If you have ready access to a supply of your own firewood, it’s very cost effective. However, it requires more maintenance, including chopping (or purchasing) and stacking firewood, as well as the process of building and tending fires.
- Gas is convenient and clean-burning. Because of the completeness of combustion, build up of soot or creosote is less of a concern. It also offers the convenience of being supplied to your home, with your fireplace likely being controlled with the flip of a switch or push of a button. While the convenience is tough to rival, some proponents of wood-burning systems feel gas systems lack the authentic charm of a wood fire.
How to decide? Let your intended use of the fireplace guide your decision.
Love the process of building your own fire, seeing it as part of the relaxation? Crave the crackle and pop of blazing logs? A wood burning unit may be for you.
Want precision control over the start and stop of your fire (and perhaps even the height and color of the blaze) after a long day? Don’t have time or space to maintain a woodpile? Gas can give you the comfort of warmth and light in a moment.
Partner With Us for the Best Fireplace Services
At Owens Chimney, we’ve been meeting the individual needs of our clients since 1989. Whether you’re in need of a repair or restoration, an installation or an update, our team of certified professionals will have the skills and knowledge to help you out.
Choosing the right fireplace for your home involves thinking through fuel type, existing infrastructure, and your own preferences. We can help you assess the current state of any existing fireplace, and have a trained eye for which solutions will best suit your needs. We also carry an impressive array of high quality inserts and stoves in a range of sizes, styles, fuel types, designs, and have repeatedly been commended for our high standard of putting the customer first.
We’ll be happy to partner with you in each step of the process to help you make the right decision for your home.