Many people don’t think about updating their fireplace until the cold weather hits. Which means, by the time they realize they need to invest in some updates, it’s already the start of their burning season – and they end up putting off care until the following spring.
Fortunately, we still have weeks of summer weather left here in the Charlotte area, so your fireplace updates don’t have to wait. The team at Owens Chimney has various ways you can upgrade or fix up your system before fall arrives in full swing. If you’re ready to get started, give our qualified crew a call today!
Are Fireplace Updates Necessary?
When it comes to fireplace updates, there are a few things to consider. First and foremost, safety should be the top priority. If there are any cracks or damaged bricks in the fireplace, they should be repaired before anything else.
In addition, the chimney should be inspected regularly to make sure it is clear of any debris and well-protected from the elements. Once any safety concerns are addressed and repairs or sweepings are completed, then it’s up to the homeowner to decide whether or not they want to update the look of their fireplace.
Upgrades can vary and can be based on what you’re looking for. Is your current system outdated and in need for a more modern look? Is your system lacking efficiency? Ready to switch fuel types? Or maybe you’re just itching to switch things up a bit? Regardless your needs, we have options.
The first step is to assess what works with your budget, space, and needs. New mantelpieces, adding accessories, or replacing the face of the fireplace can give the fireplace a whole new look without breaking the bank. That said, if a rebuild or appliance upgrade is in order, we can explore the best options for you there, as well.
Then, it’s time to put your plan into action by getting maintenance on the books. Once you’re scheduled, we’ll take it from there!
Summer Update Options
Not sure what you want or need? Below are a few fireplace update ideas to get you started:
- Add a Fireplace Insert: A great way to update your fireplace is by adding a fireplace insert. There are many fuel type options to choose from from traditional wood to pellets to gas. Do you like the crackling sound of wood fire or would you prefer the convenience of instant fire with the flip of a switch or tap of a button? Either way, we can help. Inserts are great because they improve the efficiency of your fireplace, they’re more environmentally friendly, and they make switching fuel types relatively easy.
- Change the Fireplace Face: If you’re looking for a less drastic way to update your fireplace, then consider changing the fireplace face. There are lots of different materials that you can use to update the look, including stone, brick, and tile.
- Add a Fireplace Screen: Fireplace screens help to keep sparks and embers from flying out of the fireplace, and they also add a decorative touch. There are lots of different styles of fireplace screens available, so you should be able to find one that fits your style, no problem.
- Invest in a Modern Log Holders: The log holders that come with most fireplaces are usually made of metal and can be quite plain. If you want to modernize the look of your fireplace, you can replace the log holder with something more stylish. There are lots of different options available and we would be happy to help you find one that is best suited to your system.
- Add a Fireback: Firebacks are metal pieces installed in the back of your firebox that help radiate heat back into your home. We have options in both stainless steel and cast iron, and we would love to help you figure out which is best for your needs.
Important Things To Consider When Updating Your Fireplace
A fireplace is typically considered a focal point in a home, and a well-designed hearth can add both aesthetic appeal and value to a property. However, an outdated or poorly maintained fireplace can have the opposite effect, which is why many opt to invest in updates now and then. That said, it’s important to ensure you’ve really thought it through which is why we suggest keeping the following things in mind…
Many fireplace updates require special equipment and correct installations. If you are considering doing these upgrades we highly advise that you leave the job to the professionals. Improper installations can lead to improper functioning, gas leaks, and/or fire hazards.
One of the most important aspects of any fireplace is the chimney. Over time, creosote can build up inside the chimney, posing a serious fire hazard. Aside from this, cracked mortar and missing bricks can allow dangerous gasses and flames to escape into your home. As such, it’s important to have your chimney professionally inspected and cleaned regularly. Contact Owens Chimney Systems for help.
Finally, take some time to consider the look of your fireplace. You may want to change the functionality of the fireplace as well as the face or both. Decide what style you like, what works with your budget, and any improvements you’re hoping for in terms of functionality.
Give Our Experts a Call Today
Fireplace updates can lead to more efficiency, money savings, an increase in home value, countless aesthetic benefits, and more, and with so many materials to choose from, you can easily transform your fireplace to one that fits your taste, décor and lifestyle. It’s just a matter of finding the right one.
Let Owens Chimney Systems help you get the ball by calling us at 704-486-1681 or reaching out online today.