Following a long season of use, it’s a great idea to conduct a quick inspection of your chimney and heating appliance, looking for signs of wear and tear. It’s also wise to have your chimney professionally cleaned during the spring, since this is our least busy season and the easiest time to get an appointment with us. (Plus, you’ll be all ready come fall when you’re ready to light that first fire!)
Even without a professional’s eye, there are plenty of potential problems with your chimney or heating appliance that you may be able to spot on your own. However, should you suspect any problems with your chimney you should contact a North Carolina Chimney Sweep Association (NCCSA) certified sweep right away. If you live in or around Charlotte, North Carolina, we hope you’ll call Owens Chimney Systems. In business since 1987, we know chimneys left and right, up and down, inside and out.
Our 10 Point Chimney To-Do List
Our simple checklist, which will have you examine readily accessible parts of the inside of your heating appliance and chimney as well as your chimney’s exterior, will alert you to problems that may be making your chimney dangerous, inefficient, or otherwise problematic.
- If used regularly, has your chimney been professionally cleaned within the past year?
- Do you have a chimney cap and/or damper? If so, is it in good condition?
- Do you see any signs of water damage in or around your chimney, including on the adjacent ceilings and walls?
- Are any of your chimney’s metal components rusted?
- Is your chimney stinky?
- Is your chimney smoking?
- Do you have concerns about the way your chimney is drafting?
- Is your chimney streaked or stained?
- Do you believe there may be birds or animals nesting in your chimney or does your chimney flue appear to be obstructed by anything?
- Is your chimney’s brick or masonry crumbling, spalling, or cracking?
Contact Owens Chimney Systems today to schedule a consultation with one of our highly trained chimney technicians. We’d love to put your mind at ease so that you can truly enjoy your next fire.