Owning a fireplace comes with several advantages. It can give you ample amounts of warmth when you need it. You and your family can enjoy quality bonding time when you are in the same room as the fireplace. However, owning a fireplace can also be dangerous. This is especially true if you do not take the time and effort to properly maintain it. You should have a good understanding of what to do in order to keep a safe fireplace for your family. Here are some good tips to start with.

First, never burn unseasoned wood. Unseasoned wood has more water content than necessary, and produces much more smoke. This, of course, leads to more creosote build-up. Creosote is the sticky, gooey substance that builds up on the walls of your chimney. It is highly flammable, and can lead to a house fire if ignited. The best type of wood to use for firewood is from hardwood trees like oak and maple. To make sure creosote is removed from your chimney, make sure you contact a chimney professional. They will have the tools necessary to make sure the job is performed thoroughly.

Also, remember to keep your firewood and other flammable objects away from the fireplace. You never know when a spark might jump out, and set some papers or kindling on fire. This also goes for holiday decorations. While it can be tempting to get into the spirit by spreading your holiday cheer across the fireplace, you need to remember the dangerous situation that that can cause.

The main thing to do when you own a chimney is to be mindful of how you use your chimney. By keeping in mind the frequency of use and the materials used to burn, you can make sure your family has safe and prolonged enjoyment of your fireplace.