Investing in a high-quality chimney cap is one of the best decisions you can make. The benefits and advantages they offer are extremely valuable when considering the safety and longevity of your chimney.
That said, when it comes to choosing a chimney cap there are a lot of options. No worries, though – no matter the size, shape, or function of your chimney, there is a cap to protect it. Here are a few things you should know about various types of chimney caps and the benefits they offer.
If you have a chimney with just one flue it is possible that a single-flue cap will be able to serve your chimney’s needs. Installed directly above your flue exhaust vent, this low profile component keeps the elements away and your interior dry. Like most professional grade chimney caps it should be made of materials like stainless steel or copper that can withstand various weather extremes without rusting, bending, cracking, or deteriorating.
- Weather Protection: Water is the biggest enemy of any chimney system. A single-flue cap provides adequate protection against moisture getting into your flue. A dry chimney flue is a key part of maintaining a healthy chimney and avoiding costly damage over time.
- Animal and Bird Prevention: These caps often feature mesh screens that act as barriers that keep birds, squirrels, and other critters from getting into your chimney flue and creating a mess. The nests and debris that come in with animals clog up your flue and increase the risk of dangerous chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. They also force smoke to enter the home rather than escape through the flue like it should.
The single-flue cap is a very common type of chimney cap which means that finding the right one for your chimney shouldn’t be an issue.
Multi-flue caps are designed to cover chimneys with two or more flues. These caps have a larger base that spans across the flue vent top, allowing them to cover multiple flues simultaneously. They are customizable, which means they can be made to fit whatever size chimney and whatever number of flues might be necessary.
- Enhanced Protection: Multi-flue caps provide more coverage over your chimney due to their larger size. This means that moisture and debris will not only be deflected away from the various flues in the chimney, but possibly even away from the entire chimney structure itself. This is especially important for brick and mortar structures as they can be very susceptible to damage caused by wind, rain, snow, and ice.
- Promotes Proper Air Flow: The up front cost of a multi-flue cap may be slightly higher due to the need of larger size. However, that cost is quickly offset by the fact that you only need one cap to cover multiple flues which promotes proper air flow and reduces risk of downdrafts.
Outside Mount Caps
Outside mount caps, as the name suggests, are installed on the exterior of the chimney crown or chase, and they provide reliable flue and crown coverage.There are multiple lid choices available to complement your home and design style.
- Increased Durability: These caps can have a larger profile than the rest. They are customized to fit your chimney, and they provide additional shielding against wind and downdrafts.
- Very Stable: Once in place, these are stable and durable, which means that wind, debris, and other natural factors are much less likely to cause problems.
Not all chimneys fit nicely into a specific category. Angles, sizes, shapes, and construction can be unique to the point of needing an extra measure of creativity and design for a chimney cap. That’s where the specialty cap comes in. This is a cap specifically designed for an individual chimney that needs something different to provide it with the protections that chimney caps offer.
- Quality Protection: The goal with these caps remains the same as the rest – keep out things that shouldn’t get in, while allowing smoke and fumes a safe way out.
- Versatility: The biggest benefit of a specialty cap is that it can be created to provide these protections for any chimney no matter how different that chimney is. This is common among historic chimneys that need to be preserved or chimneys with unique ventilation needs.
Full-coverage caps are designed to cover the entire chimney, including the chimney crown and chase top. They are typically made of stainless steel or copper and offer complete protection against weather elements and animal intrusion.
- High Value: The full-coverage cap offers the most bang for your buck. They fit over the entire chimney top section, and the customization needed to create the cap is minimal outside of aesthetic choices that can match any home exterior. It also keeps your entire chimney top protected, which lowers the amount of maintenance and repairs that other chimneys would typically need.
- Comprehensive Protection: Full-coverage caps act like an entire little house that encapsulates the chimney top portion and protects the entire crown and flue openings. It provides the highest amount of protection of any of the chimney caps.
- Increased Lifespan: Because of the thorough protection these caps offer, your chimney doesn’t face the same level of exposure to deteriorating elements that others might. This means that its longevity and structural strength will last for the long haul.
We’ve Got Your Chimney Covered (Literally)
Owens Chimney Systems is committed to making sure our customers are able to fully enjoy their home and fireplace. Our professionals are well trained in helping you determine the perfect chimney cap for your chimney and then getting it fitted and installed in a professional manner.
Call us today or request an appointment online.