You want your home to be as energy efficient as possible, to make sure that the windows and doors are snug and air-tight, and that you have plenty of insulation installed to keep you toasty warm and keep the cold air out and the warm air in. This will help keep your home running efficiently, which will mean lower heating bills for you. Who How Do I Fix Home Pressure Issues Image - Charlotte NC - Owens Chimneydoesn’t want lower bills, especially after the spending of the holiday season! But did you know that there is actually a problem with your home being too tight? This can happen, especially in newer homes that are built to be super efficient. If your home is sealed up too tightly, without proper ventilation, it can cause problems, including health concerns and chemical buildups.

Problems Caused

It can also just be unpleasant to be in a home that is not ventilated properly. A general sense of stuffiness can be present, especially if you have a number of people present and after being in a home that isn’t ventilated properly for a time, you’ll probably just wish you could get a breath of good, fresh air.

One of the biggest concerns with a house that is sealed up too tightly is that your health and the health of your loved ones might be affected. Some of the conditions that might occur with a home that is sealed up too tightly are headaches, colds and sore throats, dizziness, rashes, loss of energy, or eye irritation. Although these conditions aren’t life-threatening, they certainly are annoying when you just want to feel good and get things done.

Another problem you might see with a tightly sealed home is an increase in levels of certain chemicals. Some of these chemicals include carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, nitrogen dioxide, and formaldehyde. Everyone has heard of how sick too much carbon monoxide can make you. The problem is, carbon monoxide is both colorless and odorless, so it’s very hard to detect if you have a carbon monoxide buildup in your home; in fact, health symptoms are often the only clue you have that this might be at dangerous levels. High levels of carbon monoxide can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, and, if left undetected, fainting and death can occur.

Negative Pressure

A home that is too tight can also cause problems for exhaust devices. If your clothes dryer or range hood is producing a negative pressure, this can cause back drafts in your fireplace, furnace, or water heater. This will cause carbon monoxide to sneak into your home rather than out of it.

The Solution to the Problem

If you’re ventilation problems with your fireplace and chimney, give us a call at Owens Chimney Systems. We’ll be able to come in and recommend solutions to the problems your home might be facing. Call today to set up an appointment, and stop worrying that your home might just be too tightly sealed!