Carbon monoxide (CO) is a silent threat that faces all chimney owners, and they need to be very conscientious of the condition of their chimneys. For all the good that can come from having a fireplace and chimney, there are dangers that need to be planned for. This is not to suggest you should stay awake all night worrying, but it should serve as a reminder that much responsibility comes with owning a chimney. A good, thorough inspection and cleaning will help you get a handle on most dangerous situations.

There are several important warning factors that will help you know that there might be excessive amounts of CO present. Early symptoms include fatigue, headaches, and nausea. Unfortunately, many people commonly mistake these for flu-like symptoms. A much better early warning system is to install CO alarms that will alert you and your family to possible high levels of the deadly gas. Remember, CO poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the country. Because it is odorless and tasteless, it has been nicknamed the “silent killer.”

Aside from watching out for symptoms and installing CO monitors, regular chimney maintenance will help greatly. If your chimney is obstructed in any way, you are likely to experience smoke coming back into the home. By contacting us to clean and service your chimney, we can not only remove any obstructions, but we can also make sure there isn’t any structural damage that could cause a fire.

CO poisoning is a serious threat that cannot be taken lightly. Tragedies involving CO poisoning are on the rise, partly due to the increasing air tightness of our homes. Make sure your home is properly vented, and your chimney is functioning freely and efficiently. Let us know if we can help in any way. We are here to serve the community around us.